Monday, March 7, 2011

Applique patch toddler toy tutorial


 I spent a good deal of time this weekend hunting and gathering... new craft supplies that is. After going down every isle in the Wal-Mart craft section and hunting out odds and ends that were on sale or clearance, I headed to Joann's. Twice. Oh, and also to Michael's. Between lowered prices, coupons, and Peanut finding shiny things I came away with a nice new stash of pretty, fun, and potentially useful items. See?

Now I have so very many project ideas floating around my brain! I excited to get some going to share with you all!

Today is a really easy, quick project, in less than ten steps.
Peanut found this pretty butterfly patch on clearance and I don't think she realizes what it is. To her it's a toy, so I'm making it into one for her. She also recently started carrying a little purse around with her to hold her dearest possessions, so this will fit perfectly if she wants it to. Little hands need little toys right?

You'll need:
Applique patch
Iron
Scrap fabric
Little bit of stuffing
Basic sewing supplies

*Also you could do this with a patch on each side, instead of one. There was only one left when Peanut found us this little guy.*

Step one:
Cut two pieces of your scrap fabric roughly the shape of your patch and about 1-1/2 inches bigger all around.

Step two:
Iron on your patch to the middle of one shape.

Step three:
Sew around the edges of the patch for extra playablity!

Step four:
With right sides together, sew around the edges of the fabric, leaving a small opening for turning and stuffing.

Step five:
Turn right side out, pushing corners out with a chopstick (or whatever pointy object you prefer).

Step six:
Stuff to desired feel. I like it to be a little more on the hard side.

Step seven:
Sew opening closed. You can use a machine or do it by hand. I used the machine this time. I usually do it by hand because it's tough trying to get such a little thing under the machine after stuffing and I can use tiny little stitches when I do it by hand.

Now, there you go. A "little hand" friendly take along toy!
Enjoy! See you Wednesday!




Shared on




As with all of my projects, I have designed them for my family and love to share with you so you can have them for your families as well. All projects, patterns and directions are meant for your personal use and neither the patterns nor completed projects are to be used for monetary gain.

No comments:

Post a Comment